ADMISSION TO THIS COURSE IS SUBJECT TO INTERVIEW
The primary objective of this learning programme is to foster and develop non- pathologising therapeutic attitudes to sexual diversity clients in professional therapists and counsellors. We will be taking a cross-cultural, multi-cultural and anti-oppressive stance to this subject incorporating 'ism' and disadvantage as much as possible and where information exists in the teaching and learning on this course.
We aim to do this through information, experiential learning and supervised practice:
• We are aiming to prepare therapists for the diversity of gender and sexual diversity therapy issues that are likely to present, whilst also allowing them to select a topic which are of particular interest to their practice needs, and encouraging exploration of issues with which they are unfamiliar.
• To support the integration of a non-pathologising attitude into trainees’ own theoretical framework.
• To improve clinical excellence and confidence as a therapist working with gender and sexual diversity clients.
• To support the integration of non-pathologising attitudes and behaviours into trainees’ own practice.
Specific Outcomes. Trainees will:
• Develop their ability to deconstruct heterosexist and homophobic structures, values and processes;
• Understand and ‘work through’ the impact of these on themselves;
• Understand the potential impact of these on others e.g. clients;
• Recognise why, how and when their own sexuality is important and when it isn’t;
• Distinguish why, how and when their client’s sexuality is important and when not;
• Develop knowledge of the cultural climate as it exists for members of sexual diversities now, and throughout their earlier life;
• Demonstrate respect for the strategies adopted by members of sexual diversities for surviving in hostile environments;
• Develop appropriate and coherent therapeutic responses to the presentations of self formed through experience of being a member of a sexual diversity.
• Be able to articulate their personal and professional development as a therapist working with gender and sexual diversity clients
This course consists of:
A/ Eleven monthly supervision/lecture dates falling on weekends or Friday afternoon/evening and two seminar days.
- Saturday 22 September 2012 (1pm to 7pm)
- Sunday 23 September 2012 (10am to 5pm)
- Friday 19 October 2012 (3pm to 9pm)
- Friday 7 December 2012 (3pm to 9pm)
- Friday 11 January 2013 (3pm to 9pm)
- Sunday 10 February 2013 (10am to 5pm)
- Saturday 9 March 2013 (1pm to 7pm)
- Sunday 10 March 2013 (10am to 5pm)
- Friday 19 April 2013 (3pm to 9pm)
- Friday 10 May 2013 (3pm to 9pm)
- Friday 7 June 2013 (3pm to 9pm)
- Saturday 8 June 2013 (10am to 5pm)
- Sunday 9 June 2013 (10am to 5pm)
B/ participation to the following core training, the dates for these are in the TRAINING section of the website:
- Essentials in Sexual Diversity Therapy (three BACP endorsed weekends)
- Introduction to Psychosexual Therapy with Gender and Sexual Diversity Clients (COSRT endorsed weekend)
- The Development of the Self and the function of the therapeutic alliance (one day)
- A training day of your choice amongst our extensive program
Since Diploma students get a discount on Core Modules, these should be booked with the Admin team rather than online.
Should you have undertaken any components of this core training in the last 3 years you will not be required to attend them again.